Friday, May 20, 2011

Nice Going, America

Finally fulfilling the destiny set by past seasons of mediocre finalists, American Idol has finally produced its least interesting final pair in show history (replacing Taylor Hicks and Katherine McPhee in my book, YMMV).

Really, what is there to say about Scotty McCreery or Lauren Alaina that is even remotely interesting? Both are teenagers from the South who sing country music. Other than that, the only things I can tell you about the pair is that Scotty plays baseball and Lauren's mom has a hideous hairdo.

Can they sing? Sure. Are their performances interesting? No. The only real comments made about Scotty's performance is his preference for holding the microphone to the side of his face, while Lauren mostly seems challenged in finding the right outfit. If you told me right now I'd win a million dollars if I could name any one of the three songs each of them did this week, I'd lose. I only remember Lauren did "I Hope You Dance" because it was so obvious that I was surprised she'd not done it previously.

As much as this irritates me, recent history suggests we won't hear from the winner (or even the runner-up) much after the finale, so we've got that going for us.

No comments: