Wednesday, May 11, 2011

On the Bubble: ABC

ABC appears to have the most shows not yet renewed, so settle in.

Saved: 20/20, AFV, Body of Proof, Dancing With the Stars, Desperate Housewives, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Primetime, Saturday Night College Football, Secret Millionaire, Shark Tank

Lots of reality, not surprisingly, with some of these poised to take over for failed new shows. I don't think Body of Proof is strong enough to anchor a night, but it could work to complete a night (Wednesday or Sunday at 10, perhaps)?

I also half-expect to see special Sunday editions of Saturday Night College Football if the NFL owner's lockout drags into the season.

Gone: Better With You, Brothers & Sisters, Detroit 187, Happy Endings, Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, Mr. Sunshine, No Ordinary Family, Off the Map, V, Wife Swap

As much as I think these will all go, ABC may surprise by keeping a couple of them. I could see them poaching one of the sitcoms to fill the one empty slot in the Wednesday lineup. Happy Endings seems more likely, as I think it'd be easier to keep a mid-season show (and it seems more in line with the family/relationship comedies than Mr. Sunshine).

The other obvious question is Brothers & Sisters, which I've put on here thanks to the revolving door for cast and producers alike. The current season finale could sub as a series finale, and the ratings jump it received may convince ABC to try to squeeze one more season out of it.

On a personal note, I'll be sad to see Detroit 187, as despite the awful name it wound up being a pretty good show. I'm more ambivalent about the potential loss of V. The season finale shook things up quite a bit, but I think it's too little too late.

No comments: