Tuesday, May 10, 2011

On the Bubble: NBC

With upfronts coming next week, here's my guess as to what shows that are on the bubble will get saved and which will get the hook. This is based on this listing at The Futon Critic, with many thanks.

Saved: The Apprentice, Dateline NBC, Harry's Law, Law & Order: Los Angeles, Law & Order: SVU, Minute to Win It, Saturday Night Live

The reality pickups make some sense given the low cost to produce. The scripted show most likely to not actually get picked up is Law & Order: Los Angeles, whose mid-season reboot hasn't exactly led to an influx of new viewers.

Also, if I'm right, Harry's Law will be the only first year show to get renewed. That is not a feather in the network's cap.

Gone: America's Next Great Restaurant, Chase, Chuck, The Event, Outsourced, Parenthood, Perfect Couples, School Pride

The bar for keeping reality shows is lower than scripted shows, but the two reality shows here don't clear it. As far as the scripted stuff goes, I don't expect many of the shows on the list would be a surprise. I do expect the usual gnashing of teeth for Chuck, and it may just stave off cancellation given the lack of anything else to show. I wonder if we'll get a similar reaction for The Event, but as no one seems to know exactly what that show's about I doubt it. I do hope that its demise finally puts an end to the idea that you can put a show on ice for three or four months and have it succeed.

I'm expecting the loss of Outsourced and Perfect Couples to lead to the end of the three hour comedy experiment. I'd go with a lineup of Community, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock and The Office and a drama at 10.

No comments: