Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Slim Pickings

Not much on last night, we left it on baseball (Sox-Orioles) or had it on Cold Case Files on the Bill Kurtis Channel, which for some reason is still listed as A&E.

This reminded me of one of the few funny skits I saw on SNL this past season. Darrell Hammond is playing Kurtis, and he's doing voice overs. He and the folks in the booth are having a discussion on typical stuff - places to eat, how common acquaintances are doing, etc. - which he interrupts to intone things like "Police discovered a gorilla suit made entirely of pubic hair."

I know some of my laughter came cheaply, but on some level I think Kurtis's days are like this. Spend the morning talking about rapists and serial killers, then decamp to TGI Friday's for lunch. That and I do appreciate Hammond, his generation's Phil Hartman.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved that sketch. It was certainly a Tina Fey creation. The giveaway was the mindless banter during the downtime between the disturbing voiceovers. The conversation kept turning to Weight Watchers. (Fey is a former member and has noted in the NYT? that her career magically took off right after she lost weight.)