Monday, June 06, 2005

The end of the crazy?

I was saddened to see that Twiggy is replacing Janice Dickenson on the America's Next Top Model judging panel. Janice was often the highlight of the show, as her no-holds-barred comments and descents into madness perked up what could be a fairly by the book episode.

Janice seemed crazier this past season (excuse me, "cycle"), as she made moves on both Nigel Barker and Tyra Banks (all in the name of modeling demonstrations, of course!) and mixed it up verbally with Nole Marin (who is a waste of space; I'd rather have both Janice and Twiggy than him). I could be reading to much into this, though I've also read talk that Janice and Tyra didn't always get along. I could see how Janice's larger than life personality (and occasional grope) could get frustrating, or perhaps take too much attention from the host.

And that's where my main concern is regarding Twiggy: will she be original and engaging? She's got a tough act to follow, certainly.

Were I given my druthers, the panel would be Janice, Nigel, Tyra, and J. Alexander, runway diva extraordinaire. Of course, I'd also give Jay Manuel a cycle off so he could get his skin tone to a less orange shade. Might as well swing for the fences.

No comments: