Thursday, June 02, 2005

B-O-R-I-N-G

ESPN's got the National Spelling Bee on this afternoon, and it's not exactly compelling television. I'm not particularly pro- or anti-bee, but these rounds watching kids spell words that the folks at the OED would have trouble finding doesn't do whole lot for me. Though it would be good if some combo of the bee's popularity and the Ken Jennings phenomenon would mix to get quizbowl back on TV. Perhaps ESPNU or CSTV would be willing to spare an afternoon?

Also, I missed the ceremonial release of the bees. Always a dramatic moment.

I will say that Chris McKendrie and the analyst, the 1979 champ, are doing a game job of covering this thing. It's just that watching 11 year-olds repeatedly asking for etymologies and sentences is hard to spin.

1 comment:

Allyson said...

Is there really a ceremonial release of bees? Because I would watch that.