Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Aloha

One less show to watch, for now - I've given up on Hawaii 5-0.

I was fairly accepting of the deficiencies in story for the first couple of episodes, wanting to give the show some time to find its feet. What finally cut it for me was the episode involving the shooting death of a surfing company exec. The shooting took place from an area where there were no roads. How to get there? Cut to a scene of McGarrett and Chin blazing through the jungle on dirt bikes. Then cut back to the office for a couple minutes, then back to the jungle. Why? Just to have the action sequence, it appears.

In the balance this isn't the most egregious sin a show could commit, but it underscored the growing feeling I had that there was nothing compelling to bring me back every week. The over-arching story of police corruption that innvolved McGarrett's dad and his Tool Box of Clues, which seemed poised to give some added weight to the show, had pretty much ground to a halt as well. The last we saw of this story was McGarrett's ne'er-do-well sister putting the evidence on her phone. If she could get her hands on this information, I have a hard time believing that one of the cops involved in the plot hasn't managed to steal the box and throw it in the ocean by now.

I will happily chug along with Detroit 1-8-7, which at least tries to be compelling.

No comments: