Monday, October 09, 2006

New on TV: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

It's got an all-star cast, strong writing, top-shelf directing, and is likely the tightest show on TV, never mind among new shows

So why am I still on the fence about Studio 60?

There are some minor things - I'm not a huge Amanda Peet fan, for example - but I think it boils down to three things:

1. The hyper-focus on religion. While I have no doubt that religion is a major issue in the TV industry, the three episodes that have aired so far have been very focused on religious issues, from the sketch that precipitated everything ("Crazy Christians," which we never get to see) to the resultant problems with affiliates that seem to have righted themselves by the second episode helmed by Matt and Danny (the writer and director played by Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford). The focus even spreads into other sketches that we see, such as "Science Schmience," a game show parody about the clash of science and religion. Which leads to my second point:

2. The show within a show doesn't seem that funny. We don't get to see to much of the actual Studo 60, but what they've shown is less than appealing. Take the sketch mentioned above; it has six contestants in order to include all major religions, but when have you seen a Jeopardy-style game show with six contestants? It doesn't help that the host is basically giving science lessons while asking questions. It's over-written and not worth the laughs the audience is giving.

Then there's the cold open from Matt and Danny's first show, a rewriting of some Gilbert and Sullivan. While I'm glad that Aaron Sorkin was able to get his G&S fixation out of the way early, it wasn't all that funny. It was amusing, which I suppose is fitting for G&S, but not the sort of funny we're built up to expect. There's also a new recurring sketch based on commedia dell'arte, which just seems strange.

3. I'd like more about the actual show and its cast and crew, and a little less about the NBS executives. Steven Weber does a good job as the network chairman, and even though I don't care for Amanda Peet, she's doing a decent job as the new NBS president (even though she was a little too omniscient in the pilot). But I'd rather have more development on plot lines involving the cast and crew. We're getting some of this - one of the leading cast members is Matt's ex-girlfriend, and there's a rift between Matt and the show's less quality-focused writers (though that seems to be coming to an end), but I'd like more. I suppose that will come with time.

I'm going to stick with the show, as there is a lot going for it. I just hope Sorkin et. al. make the show a little less focused on issues and more on the people.

4 comments:

Allyson said...

I like the show and will continue to watch it, if only to get my fix of a one-two punch of Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford (yeah, I like nerdy boys). But Amanda Peet still sounds like she's reading lines, and it really annoys me that the show uses the same font as West Wing for its titles. And it's weird to see Steven Daly as a smart, ruthless type instead of the dumbass he played on Wings.

I have no big problem with the focus on religion for now, though I'll bet it bugs the hell out of Kristin Chenoweth.

I'm willing to bet that the focus will become more on the people and less on the issues as the show goes on. (If it goes on, I guess I should say, since the ratings haven't been stellar.)

James said...

From what I've read, *Studio 60* has become the scripted version of *The Apprentice* -- ratings aren't great, but the money demos (viewers with salaries of at least $100,000) are strong, which would justify renewal.

Caught one episode -- this is a good example of a show that doesn't play well in Peoria, but is a good show for big-city types who read and understand what's going on.

And I demand a *1 vs. 100* review, only because I'm on the third episode :)

Mark said...

I think my problem with the focus on issues is that Sorkin is sacrificing plot and character development to make points. Consider Danny's defense of his drug use versus Jordan's DUI. Sure, drugs don't hurt anyone other than the user. That's why you never hear about dealers getting killed or violence in places like Columbia.

They can, however, have Sarah Paulson do her bear impression every week. Too cute.

JD, I will be sure to review 1 vs. 100. I was very excited to see the ad for it last night.

Greg said...

I'm generally annoyed with Studio 60 as well (keep in mind I've seen more Studio 60 than I ever did of West Wing and Sports Night combined). Far too much of it is Sorkin's Shitlist, in which he tees off on things and people who have wronged him: two ex-girlfriends! the network who may or may not have fired him after being busted for drugs! former West Wing writers! Internet critics who dared question him! Most of all, he needs to pick up the phone and work it out with Kristen Chenoweth.

I did like the fourth episode, particularly the vibe of Ricky & Ron and "The Room" living in fear of the dictator at the top. From what I've read, that seemed close to the relationship between Lorne Michaels and everyone else. The plagiarism "resolution" was so false, thogh, that if there's no mention of it next week, I may drop the show altogether.