Friday, September 29, 2006

New on TV: Ugly Betty

I wasn't planning on watching this, but the wife wanted to, and it is on before Grey's Anatomy. So we tuned in, and the best I can say is that the show has some promise.

America Ferarra does a nice job as Betty, staying just enough to the right side of the line where her clueless optimism is both funny and endearing. Vanessa Williams is appropriately over the top as a vindictive magazine exec gunning to take down Betty's boss (the mag's editor in chief). I'm also a fan of Betty's fashion-loving pre-teen nephew, just because his interest in fashion is so unusual. There's also a good recurring cameo by Salma Hayek as an actress in an actual telenovela.

The show keeps several touches that point to its beginnings as a telenovela, and for the most part balances soapiness with humor. What I didn't care for was the fairly predictable plot - the magazine needs an idea for a major cosmetics ad, and guess whose idea saves the day? - though if the show keeps going, I'd expect things to get better here. At least I hope it does, as the wife liked it and I guess we'll keep watching.

No comments: