Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Man of Science, Man of Faith, Men of Annoyance!

As much as I'm happy that Lost is spilling some of its secrets (leading, of course, to new ones), I've been a little irritated with the polarization of Jack as the "Man of Science" and Locke as the "Man of Faith." Anything that leads to that much yelling can't be good. We could use more of Sayid acting as the "Man of Practicality," as it seems to take both Jack and Locke down a peg.

Heck, we could use more of Sayid, Charlie, Claire, Shannon, or Sun. They've been pretty invisible so far, yet the first three episodes all included Jack and bunker buddy Desmond in their stand-off. It is maddening how the show will advance at top speed for a while and then rehash stuff for a while. I suppose it will continue to help new viewers sort things out, but I'd have to think that evening things out would help them pace the series. I fear an Alias-type reboot.

I'm also getting a little tired of the flashbacks, though I assume they include information and clues that I should be picking up on (for example, in the Michael flashback from a couple of weeks ago, he gives a toddler version of Walt a stuffed polar bear before Walt's mom takes him to Rome - clue, or coincidence?).

Regarding the "others," I was fairly disappointed that Michael, Sawyer, and Jin didn't spend a couple of seconds wondering how Ana-Lucia managed to live for six weeks on her own, avoiding both major population groups until her "capture." Granted, Sawyer should be in shock from his wound, Michael from losing his son, and Jin shouldn't be able to understand English (or should he?). But still, given the level of paranoia they've been at for a while, I can't imagine they'd just open up to some mystery survivor.

No comments: