Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Tritter is the new Vogler

I can't say I'm particularly thrilled about the current House plot line where police detective Michael Tritter (played by David Morse) is investigating House for his practices relative to Vicodin. To me it's playing off very much like the first season story Edward Vogler story line. Or at least an attempt to do that story line better.

There are some differences between Tritter and Vogler. Tritter has the power of the state to back his menace; the ability to freeze Wilson's bank accounts or send House to prison take things up a notch from getting fired. Tritter is also much more of a House-like character, between the overuse of medication (nicotine gum rather than Vicodin) and the shared belief that everybody lies.

I suppose this should make me more interested, in that we get to compare House battling a law enforcement variant of himself. But to me, it's playing more like the bully versus bully confrontation that marked the Vogler plot. I know that they need to run stories like this to give some foil to House that he can't run roughshod over, but I'd like a little more nuance.

(Unrelated note: David Morse is from Hamilton, Massachusetts, one town over from where I grew up. He may be the most famous Hamilton native ever.)

No comments: