Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Arrivederci, Roma

For reasons that I still do not completely comprehend, the wife decided to include The Bachelor: Rome in our viewing when the new season started. I don't recall her being particularly interested in the show in the past (she's not watched it regularly, at least) and I've never watched the show.

Until now, of course.

I will admit that, as with pretty much any unscripted show, it's hard not to get pulled into choosing favorites. But it's also not hard to see why this concept has seen better days. I'm already sick of the sheer artifice of it all, from the dates that are either so busy or so over the top that it's hard to see where anyone is making a real connection, to the rote rites of the rose ceremony. I also don't find the bachelor, an Italian "prince" who grew up in the US and speaks Italian about as well as I do, to be that interesting. From looking at past bachelors, that's not surprising; there's a bland sameness to them all.

In this series, there's also been the use of that unscripted favorite, bringing back a particularly unsavory contestant for future hijinx. In this case, it's a Houston "socialite" who always wears a tiara and thinks that, because she's rich and from a privileged background, that she's perfect princess material. It doesn't help her case that she constantly looks stoned and (in an odd juxtaposition) acts like she's off her meds. I fear that she's going to become the next Bachelorette. Not that it'll matter, as I'll fry our DVR rather than let the wife record it (not that I think she would, she can't stand this contestant, either).

Anyway, I'm not sure what ABC is getting out of the continued existence of The Bachelor. They're getting reasonable female demo numbers (and growth out of Wife Swap - but how could they not grow out of that?), but in all the show looks like the middle of a crap sandwich.

Of course, What About Brian got a full-season order. I imagine they're using a liberal amount of mustard to get this sandwich down.

No comments: