Sunday, September 18, 2005

Something Different

I did three things tonight I've not done in a while.

1. Watched significant portions of the Emmy Awards. And really, it wasn't too bad. Ellen DeGeneris is a good host (and was used effectively), there were some interesting acceptance speeches (Felicity Huffman and James Spader come to mind), and the Emmy Idol thing wasn't a complete train wreck.

Even if Shatner got robbed.

And on top of everything, it was over by 11. Oscar producers, take note.

2. Watched a new episode of The Simpsons at its regular time. I'd been catching them as reruns mostly, as I can't get really worked up to catch them as they air. As with many episodes in the last few seasons, I was underwhelmed.

3. Watched The West Wing, this time the second half of last season's finale that saw Jimmy Smits' character gain the Democratic presidential nod. It was OK; the convention speech where Smits says he was asked to give a speech bowing out, but isn't going to because we live in a democracy was pretty ham-handed, and a little too typical for the show (from what I remember for not watching for the last couple of seasons).

Really, I hope Alan Alda's character wins the election. But he's a Republican, and he didn't get Leo McGarry to be his running mate. Unless they're planning a big mid-season cast change, you should get ready for President Santos (it's a bad sign that it took me 5 minutes to remember the character's last name).

Is it wrong that I want Santos to get elected so he can get hit by a bus and make Leo the president?

No comments: