Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Fifth Dentist

If you're my age you probably remember the ads for Trident gum that noted that four out of five dentists would recommend Trident for their patients who chew gum. And if you were like me, this ad left one question: what did the fifth dentist recommend? (Turns out it was not to chew gum at all.)

The ad never impacted my gum chewing habits, but it did give me an early lesson in the importance of language. A lesson that was piqued again this morning when I heard an ad on the radio for NBC's Thursday night sitcoms. The announcer wanted us to tune in to Community, Parks and Recreation, The Office and "the critically acclaimed Whitney."

That caught me aback, as the critical reaction to Whitney has been tepid at best (as noted here and here and here (scroll through), and here and here, for starters). So it makes me wonder: who, in this case, is the fifth dentist who is recommending Whitney?

The other idea that popped into my head is that NBC is trying to convince us that Whitney is critically acclaimed so it will fit with the other sitcoms, all of which actually are critically acclaimed (more or less, I'm hoping James Spader will bring some luster back to The Office). I'm thinking the people who actually watch the other shows will notice the difference (and those of us who watch the shows on DVR or On Demand will not really notice Whitney at all).


No comments: