Tuesday, January 24, 2006

U! P! Dead!

I was pretty stunned by today's announcement that the WB and UPN are planning to merge into something called The CW. It's not like either network was setting the world on fire, but given the rhetoric each has used towards the other, this wasn't the most obvious move.

It'll be interesting to see what gets saved and what gets dumped as they integrate each other's shows into a common schedule and try to combine the WB's quest for young viewers with UPN's "urban" demographic.

This is also a bonanza for TV dead poolers, but I'm pretty sure that's an unintended consequence. I'll be happy either way as long as Related doesn't survive the merger.

A merger also means that there are several current affiliates who will soon lose their network. I hope this marks a return to independent TV stations, who have some flexibility to offer distinct programming options. I worry that someone else will get the bright idea to form a new network out of the ashes of the merger. I am horrified at the possibility that all these stations will become shop at home or infomercial outlets.

I wonder if this is the Curse of Michigan J. Frog?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the two networks take their best stuff, it could be a decent channel -- I've got programs from both networks on the DVR queue already.

The move is great for this season's death pool, but possibly more challenging next season if there's less bloated filler material.

But as for local channels, it depends where you're at. Some smaller cities don't even have enough space for both UPN and WB, so having just one channel helps them out. Larger cities, though, well, who knows -- maybe we'll get more showings of "Men With Brooms" like I had the other day.

James said...

The "fourth estate," myself included, were shocked about the announcement as well. We learned about the news conference only 20 minutes before it began, with a note announcing that "Three Major Media CEOs will make a major announcement". Made two predictions right there...

1. UPN would go under
2. Fox and Pax would merge to form Pox :)

Early predictions on my side...

1) I think the only given goner on either network's schedule (outside of shows that are ending production) is WB's Friday night comedy block.

2) The CW will find a way to keep *SmackDown* on the schedule, either on Fridays are outside prime time.

3) KidsWB! will become "CN on CW"

4) I definitely see someone trying to launch first-run syndie dramas or comedies in the wake of this "network loss".

Mark said...

The press release mentioned Smackdown when it was talking about the networks' notable programming. I think you're right that it'll survive.

As for the 2006-07 LaPlaca, as long as ABC keeps trying to give us sitcoms, there will be filler. They do have that Monday night block to program now. Victims ahoy!

Good point about the smaller cities, living where TV stations are plentiful leads me to forget about that. I just hope WSBK brings back The Movie Loft with a palatable host. The last guy was awful.